2013年1月9日星期三

How to Become the Best Networker

I remember a mentor of mine suggesting I read the book "Love Is the Killer App". I also remember thinking, "Oh goodness, I hope this isn't a book about everyone should love everyone" and "can't we all just get along." I ended up reading that book twice. It was by far the best book I've ever read on networking.I decided to write about this topic because for years now I've received instant messages, emails and even Facebook messages that say, "I want to network with you." After I agree that I'd be happy to network with them, I never hear from the person again. Occasionally what has happened is that after I say, "Sure, let's network," I get a sales message from the person. If I ask them why I received the spam they'll say, "You agreed to network."Networking with others means helping others, offering others something they want, need and can use. If you sell widgets and I have no interest in widgets, then sending me a sales message for widgets is not something that will help me. I'd like to offer some suggestions on truly networking:1. Say hello. While this sounds so simple, very few people take the time to even say hello. I find people in such a rush to throw out their sales pitch, they don't even say hello to me.2. If someone does say hello to you, take the time to respond. I was very impressed with an ad I saw. I wrote the owner of the ad and told her how impressed I was. I never heard back. I'm not one who gives up and I'm also one that knows the internet enjoys snacking on people's emails and so I also sent the same woman a friend request and personal message on Facebook. I never heard back. Not only did this woman lose any possible sale from me, but she also lost any type of referral I might have offered.3. Take the time to get to know others. How can you help someone if you don't know them? Take the time to get to know others and then offer them things they might use or want. I'll offer two examples. I met a woman on the internet. Her son has autism. Occasionally, I'll come across what look to be great resources for moms of children with autism. I send them to her. I know another woman who tweets about social media. When I find an article or tip I especially like, I'll send it to this woman to consider for her own tweets.It is my belief that networking is helping others and providing others with what they might want or need. Without saying hello and getting to know them, you won't be able to offer help or resources. These three tips truly can help you become the best networker.

没有评论:

发表评论