2013年2月27日星期三

Does One Bad Apple Spoil the Whole Bunch?

I will readily admit, there are lots of bad companies in MLM. Just today I got another message on Facebook about a reverse 2-up scheme, where you pay $25 to get in (and get nothing for your money!) and they promise to pay you $25 for every person who joins after you, to infinity, no matter who sponsors them. The person pays $25 to join and everyone above them gets $25? Right. You do the math!But not all MLM companies are unethical. And let's face it, there are plenty of other nasty schemes in life! Have you seen these?
Email from supposed attorneys overseas with unclaimed millions they want you to have
Email with your bank's logo asking you to verify information
Impersonators on Facebook trying to sell you something
Messages on Facebook that you know this friend didn't send
Fraudulent charges on your credit or debit card
Charges to your credit card for a product that is on backorder
Computer viruses
The first one is such an obvious scam I can't believe anyone falls for it. These people ask for some information they can use to steal your identity and of course you never get the millions of bucks! The second one is much scarier, because if someone uses a company log that you trust and it seems to come from their company's email address, you may think it is legitimate. One of my banks constantly warns us not to respond to such information requests but I have received them, supposedly from other companies, who never sent a warning to their customers. But my point is, do you stop using email because of these things?There was someone impersonating Robert Kiyosaki on Facebook in December, trying to get people to send checks made out to another name (supposedly his accountant) to a street address (no company name) in return for an ebook. And he sent several messages, as well as live chats, trying to get me to send money. One time it was 5 AM Eastern time and he was claiming to be in Hawaii! One of my friends also had her Facebook account hacked and the person was sending chat messages about some colon cleanse product which I knew she would never endorse. But I didn't stop using Facebook because of these incidents!I have had several fraudulent credit card charges over the years. The worst one however, was a charge to a debit card which my former MLM company used to pay commissions. The card issuer refused to reverse the charges for nearly two months until my company intervened. I will never join a company again that pays commissions to an ecard, but I still use my credit card daily.In some states it is illegal to charge a customer's credit card for merchandise that hasn't shipped, but apparently it is not illegal everywhere because it has happened to both me and my husband. It's unethical of course!And finally, who hasn't been affected by a computer virus? But we still use computers!There will always be criminals in the world. I wish it weren't true, but it is. And there will always be unethical behaviour that isn't technically illegal. But I truly wish people would stop claiming that all MLM companies are unethical. And I truly wish that video websites would recognize this as well (several have banned all information on MLM including information about free training that helps people avoid the bad companies!) Not only are there legitimate companies selling great products and making people wealthy, but in today's economy I truly believe MLM is going to save many people from going broke!

没有评论:

发表评论